Baby almost dies after being scalded by a drop of hot tea

Recovered: Alexander Caven-Atack after his ordeal with dad Andrew, 60
180 children are scalded by a hot drink every day, according to NHSSurgeons had to remove 80 per cent of the top layer of baby’s skin after infection developed

A baby almost died after he was scalded by a drop of hot tea.

Alexander Caven-Atack, was just 10-months-old when he developed a bacterial infection from the injury, which was no bigger than a 10p coin.

He had to have 80 per cent of his top layer of skin removed with a scalpel and spent almost a fortnight in hospital.

 

Recovered: Alexander Caven-Atack after his ordeal with his father Andrew, 60

The scald was treated by doctors at Colchester General Hospital’s accident and emergency department but the infection was missed. Five days later his skin was blistering and peeling off on his back, arms and face.

He was rushed to the burns unit at Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford, where surgeons removed 80 per cent of the top layer of his skin. His parents were told their baby may not survive the procedure.

Alexander has now made a full recovery and his father Andrew, 60, and mother Sarah, 40, are warning that even minor burns can lead to the potentially fatal Scalded Skin Syndrome.

Andrew, from Colchester, Essex, said: ‘A consultant at Broomfield told me after how lucky Alexander had been to survive.

‘If it had have been identified earlier it could have been treated with a course of antibiotics and creams.

Alexander Caven-Atack in Broomfield Hospital's burns unit suffering from Scalded Skin Syndrome

Sore: Alexander Caven-Atack in Broomfield Hospital’s burns unit suffering from Scalded Skin Syndrome

‘He was bandaged and we were presented with this little mummy with just his thumbs and one big toe showing.

‘Our normally smiley baby did not smile once in two weeks.’

Alexander received the 10p piece-sized burn when he grabbed the cup of tea on September 3 last year.

It developed into Scalded Skin Syndrome, an infection caused by the bacteria Staphylococcus Aureus, and the youngster needed 13 days of hospital treatment.

Ross Carroll, whose charity
Prevention Town heads up a hot drink awareness campaign said: ‘The child
would have died if he had not got to the burns unit.

‘It is really alarming it wasn’t diagnosed before.’

'We were presented with this little mummy with just his thumbs and one big toe showing'

Bandages: ‘We were presented with this little mummy with just his thumbs and one big toe showing’

A spokesman for Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust said: ‘If Mr Caven-Atack has concerns about any aspects of his son’s care at our A&E department, we would encourage him to contact us as soon as possible so that we can investigate.

‘Our dermatology department has no knowledge of any protocol that has been developed by the family’s GP but we would be interested to hear from this particular doctor.’

Creffield Road surgery in Colchester,
which initially treated Alexander promised to make extra checks on scalded
infants under the age of five.

According to the NHS 180 children are scalded by hot drinks every day.

Mrs Faye Holdsworth from Colchester is leading an awareness campaign of the dangers after her six-month old daughter Georgia-May was left scarred when a tray of drinks toppled on to her.

‘I would urge parents to think all the time about the dangers of hot
drinks,’ she said.

‘Be aware and keep toys out of the kitchen. Now when I see mums
handling coffees and their babies, I feel physically sick.’