'Her pancreas was falling apart': Teenage girl who drank six litres of cider A DAY nearly dies after alcohol wrecked her body
Girl 'only just' survived the severe alcohol abuseShe consumed 400 units a week – 29 times the safe amount for womenTeenager drank two, 3 three-litre bottles a day
Alcohol abuse: The girl was consuming 400 units a week, drinking cheap lager and cider (file photo)
A teenager's pancreas was 'falling apart' after she drank six litres of strong cider a day from the age of 14.
Two major operations saved the life of the young girl after years of cheap alcohol consumption led to her developing severe acute pancreatitiis, her doctor revealed.
She 'only just' recovered from the serious alcohol abuse, in which she consumed 400 units a week – 29 times the recommended safe amount for women.
The unnamed teenager drank at least two, three-litre bottles of cider a day, which she bought for 3 each, it was reported.
The astonishing revelation was made by a doctor who treated the girl, who is from north west England.
She was suffering from the kind of alcohol-related illness more commonly seen in much-older patients.
The girl's case is a bleak example of how the country's binge-drinking culture is leading to serious health problems in the young.
Kieran Moriarty, a consultant gastroenterologist at the Royal Bolton Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, told the Sunday Times: 'The teenager had been drinking 400 units a week since she was 14, cheap lager and cheap cider, and she came in with severe acute pancreatitis.
'Her pancreas was really falling apart and she just about pulled through with two major operations.'
Dr Moriarty, who is also the British
Society of Gastroenterology's spokesman, said she was drinking at least
54 units of alcohol a day – well over the NHS's recommended limit of 14 a
week for women.
Katherine Brown, the Institute of
Alcohol Studies' head of research, told the Sunday Times: 'This is an uncomfortable
reminder of the level of exposure young people in the UK have to the
risks associated with alcohol.'
Life-saving: Doctors had to perform two major operations on the girl after her alcohol abuse caused severe acute pancreatitis (file photo)
Growing concerns: The girl's case is a uncomfortable reminder of the risks young people are exposed to associated with alcohol (file photo)
In some people, the pancreas – which produces digestion juices for the intestines – can be poisoned by alcohol.
This girl's case is a worrying
indicator of how alcohol abuse is becoming a serious problem for young
It has also emerged that doctors in other parts of the
country are reporting cases of liver cirrhosis in teenagers – a disease
caused by drinking too much alcohol.
These revelations come as ministers consider a raft of measures to restrict the availability of cheap alcohol.
This includes proposals to impose a minimum price of 45p-per-unit as well as blocking pubs and off-licences from opening in areas where there are high levels of alcohol-dependency and liver disease.