Girl, 8, saves mother from horrific burns from exploding ravioli by wrapping her in clingfilm after school first aid lessons
Ella told her mother to have a cold shower then covered the burns with clingfilm



12:17 GMT, 19 June 2012

A quick thinking eight-year-old girl used first aid skills she learnt at school to save her mother from horrific skin burns.

Ella Rake leapt into action after seeing her mother Vicky Patmore covered in piping hot beef ravioli when packaging from the microwave meal exploded into her face.

Quick thinking: Ella knew exactly what to do when her mother received burns from an exploding microwave meal

Quick thinking: Ella knew exactly what to do when her mother received burns from an exploding microwave meal

Vicky, 32, was severely burnt from her chin down to her chest when sauce sprayed from under the lid on to her face.

But her daughter saved her from any permanent scarring damage by immediately calling an ambulance, advising her mother to take a cold shower and then wrapping her burns in clingfilm.

Ella had just learnt how to treat burns in an after-school first aid club.

Ms Patmore said: 'I am so proud of her. I was in a bad way and she just knew what to do straight away. I had gone into a state of shock.'


Remove any clothing or jewellery near the burnt area of skin. DON'T try to remove anything that is stuck to the burnt skin.

Cool the burn with cool or lukewarm water for 10–30 minutes, ideally within 20 minutes of the injury occurring. Never use ice, iced water or any creams. Keep the rest of the person warm.

Cover the burn with cling film. Put the cling film in a layer over the burn, rather than wrapping it around a limb. A clean, clear plastic bag can be used for burns on your hand.

Treat the pain from a burn with paracetamol or ibuprofen. Children under 16 years of age should not be given aspirin.

For further information including when to go to hospital visit

Paramedics who treated Ms Patmore at her home in Birchington, Kent, said that Ella’s care saved her mother from permanent scarring.

Ella said: 'We have just learnt about burns, so that’s how I knew what to do. When the ambulance arrived the man told my mum I had done the right thing.'

Ms Patmore was taken to hospital for treatment to her burns.
Ella has been learning first aid at an after-school club at her school in Westgate-on-Sea.

Ms Patmore said: 'I am really grateful to the school for teaching first aid.

'Thank heavens for those classes.'

Amazingly it's not the first time that Ella has come to her mother’s rescue. In 2010, a five-year-old Ella called an ambulance when her mother suffered a heart attack.

Ms Patmore added: 'She is like a little carer to me, she is amazing.'

Despite her emergency heroics, Ella does not want to pursue a career in medicine.

She said: 'I’d like to be a zoo keeper when I’m older, as I want to look after animals. I don’t want to be a vet, as I wouldn’t like to cut an animal open.

'I don’t want to be a doctor, either, because I don’t like people being sick.'