We were poisoning her, but we didn't know: Girl has such severe egg allergy that a crumb of cake can burn her skin

|

UPDATED:

15:29 GMT, 27 April 2012

Egg-free: Grace wants collapse after eating a chip with gravy on it, which contained eggs

Egg-free: Grace wants collapse after eating a chip with gravy on it, which contained yolk

A six-year-old girl has such a severe egg allergy that a crumb of cake burns her skin.

Grace Roberts once collapsed after eating a chip – because it had gravy on it made with egg residue. She is also allergic to milk and her parents must strictly control her diet.

Natalie, 31, and Gareth, 33, said their daughter could suffer a fatal anaphylactic shock if she had stock cubes, soups, cakes and a whole host of other foods containing eggs.

'You can’t eat an egg sandwich
and lean in to talk to her,' Mrs Roberts said.

'When they have
birthday cake in school she has to sit in the corner away from the other
children with a teacher. She can’t play with them and they all have to
wash their hands after.

'She ate a chip once with gravy and collapsed and foamed at the mouth. It is nobody’s fault, but these things happen.'

The couple realised something was wrong when Grace suffered from vomiting soon after birth which persisted as she grew older.

Mrs Roberts said: 'She had a very difficult first eight months. She couldn’t crawl at all and she couldn’t lift her head off the floor.

'We kept going to the doctors two or three times a week and they said we were worrying because we were first-time parents.'

However, looking back Mrs Roberts recalled she only felt sick during her pregnancy when she had eggs or dairy products.

Little Grace was eventually admitted to Glan Clwyd Hospital where a strong egg and dairy allergy was diagnosed within a few days.

'We were poisoning her but we didn’t know,' said Natalie.

'Without diagnosis we don’t know how much longer she would have coped.'

Grace with her mother Natalie, who makes sure she has a strictly controlled diet

Grace with her mother Natalie, who makes sure she has a strictly controlled diet

Two years ago, when having her MMR
vaccine, Grace had to be admitted to hospital and was surrounded by an
anaphylactic team in case she went into shock as the vaccine is grown in
an environment with eggs.

'She was terrified,' said Natalie. 'When she had the injection, underneath her eyes went black.

'When the allergy starts you can see it, it changes the colour of her face.
She is very brave, we are so proud of her.'

The couple's 16-month-old son Dominic also suffers from a dairy allergy.

The family has an EpiPen auto injector to be used in case of an emergency, but so far it remains unused.

Mrs Roberts said: 'For
a six-year-old she has had a tough time. When someone gives her food she asks to check the ingredients.

'We have to put cream on her every morning and every night to protect her.'

Despite her allergy, Grace enjoys a healthy diet and her favourite vegetable is broccoli.

'When she goes out we give her chicken and chips. You can’t guarantee with other foods that there is no trace of egg. But she has never eaten an egg in her life, thank God.'

Doctors have told the family allergies come in seven year cycles but Grace’s condition shows no sign of going away.

'It is not showing signs of letting up. This could be a life-long condition,' Mrs Roberts said.