'High risk' mother left in agony for 90mins after medics dismiss her failing pregnancy as urine infection
Midwives and junior doctors adopted a 'wait and see policy' that resulted in stillbirthHospital says staff have since been 'retrained'

A mother was left in agonising pain for over 90 minutes when bungling medics dismissed her failing pregnancy as a urine infection.

Celinna Carr, 28, begged medics for help when she suffered a 'ripping sensation' after she went into labour five weeks early but was repeatedly ignored and was told doctors were 'too busy' to scan her.

Ms Carr, who was identified as a high risk pregnancy after two previously difficult births, was forced to wait a shocking one hour and 40 minutes while midwives and doctors adopted a 'wait and see policy'.

Still grieving: Celinna Carr with the foot and hand prints of her dead son Tischaurn

Still grieving: Celinna Carr with the foot and hand prints of her dead son Tischaurn

When a senior doctor eventually examined Celinna he could not find the baby’s pulse and medics were forced to deliver her son Tischauran stillborn on July 19, 2009 at Birmingham Womens’ Hospital.

Yesterday the mother-of-three was awarded a five-figure payout after health bosses admitted 'clear failures' by staff.

Celinna, from Winson Green, Birmingham, said: 'My boy should not have died. I had regular scans that showed that Tischaurn was developing well.

'For everything to go so badly wrong at the last minute has been incredibly hard to cope with.

'I was in such agony and knew 100 per cent something was terribly wrong. I was doubled over in pain. I felt a ripping sensation.

'They put me in a waiting area even though I was in terrible pain. I had to wait for 40-minutes before a midwife examined me but she suggested the pain might be the result of a urine infection.

'I begged her for pain relief and a scan to make sure that her baby was okay, but she said the senior doctor was too busy.

'I had gone through two previous labours but the pain was quite different this time. I felt like I was completely ignored by hospital staff despite being in such agony.'

Family tragedy: Celinna Carr with her children (left to right) Dante, 5, Luana, 20 months, and Tiearnay, 10

Family tragedy: Celinna Carr with her children (left to right) Dante, 5, Luana, 20 months, and Tiearnay, 10

Following complications with the birth of her first two children, Celinna was being closely monitored throughout her third pregnancy.

She underwent regular scans and was told by staff at the hospital that her baby was developing well.

But at 35 weeks Celinna went into labour and was rushed to hospital and given painkillers and put in a side room.

She said: 'The whole attitude of them was disgusting. I was a single mum walking in there and they didn’t want to hear what I had to say. They did not listen. They fobbed me of. It was utter chaos. I am absolutely disgusted.

'Had I walked in with a partner and been a little bit older I probably would have been treated better. They did not take anything I said seriously. I was in labour and I was in a waiting room, – they just didn’t care.'

The midwife then suggested the agonising pain could have been due to a placental abruption – where the placenta becomes detached from the wall of the uterus, which can cause massive blood loss to the mother and is one of the most common known causes of stillborn babies.

Despite recognising there could be a potentially critical problem, neither the midwife nor two junior doctors called for a senior doctor to review her for more than an-hour-and-a half.

Celinna, who has three other children Tiearnay, 10, Dante, five and 20-month-old Luana, added: 'When they scanned me I knew what I was supposed to hear and see – I couldn’t hear a heartbeat or see anything.

'I am still grieving for the little boy I carried and it’s been difficult carrying on with normal life. I feel very bitter about it.

'I have to stay strong for my other children but it is really hard coping with the thought that they will not get to grow up with their brother.

'Although I have gone on to have another baby, nothing will ever replace Tischaurn or fill the devastating hole that his death has left in my life.'

The staff involved have been disciplined and have since been retrained.

Guy Forster, from Irwin Mitchell solicitors, who represented Celinna, said: 'This is a tragic case and Celinna has been left completely devastated by her son’s tragic and needless death.

'There were clear warning signs of placental abruption, which has serious implications for both mum and baby, and despite the fact the midwife had mentioned this to Celinna as being a possibility, urgent action was not taken.

'Instead the midwife and two junior doctors adopted a ‘wait and see’ approach, which sadly resulted in baby Tischaurn being stillborn.'

Hospital bosses yesterday confirmed they had retrained all staff who treated Celinna.

Dr Ros Keeton, Chief Executive of Birmingham Women’s NHS Foundation Trust, said: 'The Trust has made an admission of liability in this case and wishes to extend its condolences to the family on the sad loss of their baby. We sincerely regret that not all of our care reached our normal standards.

'We have taken action to improve our service through extensive retraining of the staff involved.'