Wheelchair narrowly misses patient after it is sent flying through air by MRI scanner when it was caught in its magnetic field
Incident put the scanner out of action for two days
A hospital is facing a 20,000 bill to repair damage caused by a wheelchair which was flung across a room by powerful magnets in an MRI machine.
It is thought a nurse had pushed the metal chair into the room to collect a patient despite warning signs not to enter.
It was instantly picked up and sent crashing into the scanner where a patient had been lying moments before.
Doctors give a patient an MRI scan (file picture). The tunnel is surrounded by a large circular magnet. The incident at Southampton General Hospital put the MRI scanner out of action for two days
The patient and a radiographer, who were in the room at the time, were unharmed.
The incident at Southampton General Hospital in Hampshire put the MRI scanner out of action for two days.
MRI stands for magnetic resonance imaging and each machine can cost up to 1million. The scanner is like a tunnel about 1.5 meters long surrounded by a large circular magnet.
patient lies inside the tube as the MRI uses strong magnetic fields and
radio waves to produce detailed images of the inside of the body.
Bosses have blamed ‘human error’ for the incident and have launched an investigation to make sure the same mistake doesn’t happen again.
The hospital insider added: 'This could have easily ended with a double fatality.
'The force of those powerful magnets are so strong that they wouldn’t have had a chance to get out of the way.
'I just cannot understand how this was allowed to happen.
'Everybody working in the hospital is aware of the strength of the machine and there are so many signs warning people not to enter while a scan is taking place.
University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust confirmed that the incident caused 20,000 damage to the machine
'The nurse was shouted at to get out but they still continued into the room and the wheelchair just shot across the room.
'It slammed into the scanner and was bent round into the part where the patient lies.
'It’s a miracle nobody was hurt or killed and something needs to be done to ensure all auxiliary nurses are aware of the dangers so this doesn’t happen again.'
University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust confirmed that the incident caused 20,000 damage to the machine and put it out of action for two days.
A spokesman added: 'This incident was a result of human error by a member of our staff.
'Although no patients or staff were injured or affected, it is something we are taking very seriously.
'We will continue to investigate to ensure all staff adhere to the stringent safety measures we have in place across the trust.'