Mother told by doctors she had lost her baby is delighted after daughter survives against the odds
Doctors couldn't detect Mia's heartbeat for seven minutes in the wombLittle Mia underwent an operation to remove two blood-clots from her arm when she was just days old



10:39 GMT, 22 August 2012

A mother who was told her baby daughter had died in the womb before doctors said she was alive but suffering from a dangerous blood-clot, is celebrating after taking her home.

Shelagh McAlpine, 37, suffered a
placental abruption in April when she was 28 weeks’ pregnant – putting her and
her unborn daughter’s life in danger.

Medics initially told Shelagh that she had lost her baby when she was rushed to hospital where doctors struggled to detect the unborn child’s heartbeat.

Stephen, Shelagh and their daughter Mia Rose

Stephen, Shelagh and their daughter Mia Rose who recovered despite being three months premature and suffering from life-threatening blood clots

They then discovered she was alive but had a life-threatening blood clot in her arm and holes in her lung and heart.

But after an emergency caesarean and several operations, little Mia Rose has now made a full recovery and gone home to her parents in Glasgow.

Ms McAlpine said: 'She has been through so
much and has battled everything she’s come up against, now she is a
healthy wee baby. We feel so blessed to have her – she is our little

Shelagh was rushed to the Royal Alexandra Hospital, in Paisley, Renfrewshire on April 25 after she started bleeding heavily in the early hours of the morning.

'My due date was July 15 so I was
panicking and I thought I had lost my baby – it was terrifying and I was
completely distraught,' she said.

'My partner, Stephen, was working away
in London when it happened so I was in hospital alone, leaving my son,
Reece, who’s two, with family – but he had witnessed everything.

'Doctors couldn’t detect Mia Rose’s
heartbeat for about seven minutes – they were the longest seven minutes
of my life. When they found it I was so relieved, but still so scared
about what could happen.

'I was rushed in for an emergency
caesarean and my beautiful baby girl, Mia Rose, entered the world. She
needed ten blood transfusions, while I needed two.'

Mia Rose was in hospital for three months

Mia Rose was in hospital for three months. She lost the top of two fingers on her left hand and the tips of three other fingers

Mia Rose

Shelagh McAlpine

Delight: Doctors couldn't detect Mia's heartbeat for seven minutes, but the premature baby girl pulled through

Mia Rose weighed just 2lb 10oz when
she was born and was rushed straight to the special baby care unit. It
was five days until Shelagh was well enough to visit her.

Stephen Storrie, 30, dashed up from London then followed his
daughter to Yorkhill Hospital where Mia underwent life-saving surgery to remove a
blood clot from her arm.

Stephen said: 'I just sat in the car in
the car park for five hours while Mia Rose was in theatre. I didn’t tell
anyone what was happening. Shelagh was too ill and everyone was
shattered by what had already happened.

'I decided to wait until after the operation and prayed for good news.'

Another blood clot was found further up her arm, but both were successfully removed.

The next 72 hours were critical as Mia Rose could have lost her arm or foot – which had turned black due to a lack of oxygen.

Happy family: Stephen and Shelagh McAlpine, with Reece and baby Mia Rose

Happy family: Stephen and Shelagh McAlpine, with Reece and baby Mia Rose at home in Glasgow

Shelagh said: 'The next couple of weeks were touch and go with a few scares but Mia Rose kept pulling through.

'Surgeons were delighted with her
progress and said that no child her age and weight had survived an
operation as big as she had.

'Only time would tell what would happen, it was a very nerve-wracking experience.'

Mia Rose slowly recovered although she lost the top of two fingers on her left hand and the tips of three other fingers.

She suffered another setback a few weeks
later when doctors discovered a hole in the baby girl’s heart and lung
and again it was touch and go, but once more Mia Rose continued to
battle through.

Mia Rose has since made a full recovery and was welcomed to the family home on 1 August.

Shelagh said: 'Now we are over the moon she’s home and our family is complete.'