Launch of new NHS 111 helpline should be delayed as it's already in chaos, say doctors
BMA says the service was overwhelmed in just a few hours after its recent launch in some areas
And rolling out service nationwide from next Monday 'will put lives at risk' due to poor quality adviceSome patients forced to wait hours for advice
16:49 GMT, 28 March 2013
17:59 GMT, 28 March 2013
Dr Laurence Buckman, chairman of the BMA's GP committee, questioned the quality of advice given out
Doctors have called for a delay in the launch of a new non-emergency advice line for patients, saying it will put safety at risk.
The British Medical Association (BMA) has written to Sir David Nicholson, chief executive of the NHS, to highlight its concerns about the 111 advice line service, which is due to go live in England on Monday.
Dr Laurence Buckman, chairman of the BMA's GP committee, questioned the quality of advice given out and said patients had been forced to wait for hours for advice, the BBC said.
He also said the 'chaotic mess' of the 111 service was straining parts of the NHS that were already stretched, potentially putting patients at risk.
Dr Buckman said: 'There have been widespread reports of patients being unable to get through to an operator or waiting hours before getting a call back with the health information they have requested.
'In some areas, such as Greater Manchester, NHS 111 effectively crashed because it was unable to cope with the number of calls it was receiving.
'The quality of advice being given out has also been questionable in some instances.'
He added: 'The BMA has been warning the Government about the problems with NHS 111 for almost two years. They must finally act to ensure that patient safety is guaranteed.'
Calling for a delay of the launch until it is 'fully safe for the public', he said: 'We cannot sacrifice patient safety in order to meet a political deadline for the launch of a service that doesn't work properly.'
The new 111 service replaces NHS Direct, but doctors have warned the service is not ready to be rolled out nationally
Ministers admitted on Tuesday the introduction of the 111 telephone service had 'teething problems'.
Labour spokesman Lord Hunt of Kings
Heath warned of reports 'up and down the country' of staff shortages and
long waiting times to get through to the service.
He urged the Government to look at it again, saying that combined with a poor quality out-of-hours service, it was putting pressure on acute hospitals.
Health minister Lord Howe said he was aware of problems in two particular areas, but said pilots of the new service showed a high rate of patient satisfaction.
There have been 'widespread reports' of patients being unable to get through to an operator or waiting hours to be called back with advice
NHS England – formerly the NHS Commissioning Board – said it was aware of difficulties in introducing the new number in some areas, but that it was 'confident that measures now in place will ensure resolution of these early problems'.
A spokeswoman said: 'The service has great potential to be a fast, efficient, all-round service that ensures patients get the right care for their needs.
'This is a very important service for the public and we will make sure everything is in place to make a safe, high quality service that patients and the public can trust.
'Many sites are already up and running, but in areas where NHS 111 is not yet available we will make a thorough assessment of readiness before new sites are introduced.'
The new 111 service is aimed at helping people who urgently need medical help or advice but are not facing a life-threatening 999 emergency.