Brave baby girl with kidney cancer back home from hospital just in time for Christmas
Nine-month-old Jade diagnosed with Wilms” tumour when she was just eight weeks old

A couple are celebrating Christmas with their baby daughter after she returned home from hospital just in time for the festivities.

Jade Walsh, now nine months, was diagnosed with a rare form of kidney cancer when she was just eight-weeks-old.

Doctors operated to remove the tennis-ball sized growth in June. She has now finished a ten-week course of chemotherapy and has responded well to the treatment.

First Christmas: Jade with her mother Jacki

First Christmas: Jade gets ready for festive fun with her mother Jacki

Her mother Jacki, 27, said: “For the first time with the chemo I was really worried, I didn’t know if she’d feel it or if she’d be upset or if it was going to hurt her. But she was really good.

“The next day they said they were really pleased with the way she reacted and that we could go home, but that we’d have to come back every Monday.

“Doctors are really impressed with how Jade is doing and we’re nearly at the half way point.”

Jade was born in March in England, after her father Ryan, 27, left the army so that the couple could move home from Germany to be nearer their families.

However, during a routine check-up two months later, their GP referred her for further tests after saying one side of her stomach felt different from the other.

Mrs Walsh said: “We were referred to Bolton Hospital for an ultrasound scan and there they said they saw a mass on her kidney and that just hit me for six.

“I was crying walking out and all the way home.”

Jade was booked in for the high-risk operation to remove the growth from her kidneys on June 2, when she was just 12-weeks-old.

Brave: Jade is only nine months old but has already had a major operation and undergone months of chemotherapy

Brave: Jade is only nine months old but has already had a major operation and undergone months of chemotherapy

Mrs Walsh, from Bolton, said: “It was horrendous, it was awful, I felt guilty for leaving her with the surgeons, just because there’s so many risks.

“It was right near a really important artery and I was just terrified.

“The operation was the longest three hours ever. Afterwards I just wanted to grab her but I couldn’t, she just had wires everywhere. I stayed with her there. We took her home about a week after the operation.”

The biopsy confirmed Jade had Wilms” tumour and would need to undergo chemotherapy.

Mrs Walsh said: “This is every parent’s worst nightmare.

“After the chemo I think every three months they’ll just check her. We’ll just feel so relieved when it’s all over, we can just relax hopefully.”

Jade”s parents, family and friends, are now raising funds for the Manchester Royal Children’s Hospital which treated her. Jacki meanwhile hopes to become a children’s nurse one day.

“They’ve inspired me to train as a children’s nurse, they’re so fantastic,” she said.

“I want to go and help other children, it’s going to be a while before I can,
but hopefully once Jade is better.”