Girl, 14, killed in her tent by barbecue fumes: Brother, 11, and parents found unconscious Family “took disposable barbecue into tent to keep warm”Teenager was pronounced dead at the sceneBoy and his parents are seriously ill in hospital

A girl of 14 has died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning on a family camping holiday.

She was found alongside her parents and younger brother who were all discovered unconscious in their tent yesterday morning by other members of their family.

They are seriously ill in hospital, but the girl was pronounced dead at the scene. Her 11-year-old brother was airlifted by helicopter from the campsite for emergency hospital treatment.

Tragedy: The camp site behind the Baron at Bucknell pub in the Shropshire village of Bucknell, where a teenage girl died and three other members of her family were taken to hospital seriously ill

Tragedy: The camp site behind the Baron at Bucknell pub in the Shropshire village of Bucknell, where a teenage girl died and three other members of her family were taken to hospital seriously ill

The family were camping at a beauty spot in Bucknell, Shropshire, and are thought to have taken a disposablebarbecue into their tent to keep warm after temperatures fell to around2c (36f) on Saturday night.

There has been a spate of such tragedies recently, with campers overcome by noxious fumes after using portable devices.

Three sisters, their husbands and children had all travelled to the campsite for the bank holiday weekend.It is set in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty with stunning viewsof rolling Shropshire hills.

They had a family barbecue on Saturday evening in a central eating area around which their tents were pitched.

When one of the families did not emerge from their tent yesterday morning, a relative went in to find them all unconscious. The barbecue was in the porch of their tent.

Phil Wright, who owns the campsite andThe Baron at Bucknell pub next to it, said yesterday: ‘It seems the family went to bed with a disposable barbecue in their tent and sufferedcarbon monoxide poisoning.

Emergency: Paramedics attended the family at the campsite as well as fire engines and an air ambulance

Emergency: Paramedics attended the family at the campsite as well as fire engines and an air ambulance

The Invisible Danger

‘The alarm was raised at around 9.45 this morning. One of the sisters came and said, ‘‘We need an ambulance urgently’’. The emergency services were on the scene within five minutes. They worked on the girl for some time but they couldn’t save her.

‘It has been devastating. It is reallytragic. Nobody has done anything wrong, they have just not realised thedangers of disposable barbecues.’

His wife Debra broke down in tears as she described how they had called local paramedics and a nurse who livesnearby when the alarm was raised. She said: ‘It was absolutely awful.’

West Midlands Ambulance Service said aman, a woman and a young boy were taken to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital. A spokesman said: ‘Crews arrived at the campsite to find CPR being carried out on a girl who was in cardiac arrest.

‘Ambulance crews continued resuscitation efforts in an attempt to restart the girl’s heart. Sadly, despite their best efforts nothing could be done to save the girl and she was confirmed dead at the scene.

Poisoned: The teenage girl was confirmed dead at the scene

Poisoned: The teenage girl was confirmed dead at the scene

Hospital: The teenager

‘A boy, believed to be 11 years old, was suffering from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. Due to his serious condition he was airlifted to Royal Shrewsbury Hospital. A womanand man were taken by land ambulance to the same hospital.’

Fellow camper Geoff Brookes, 57, a design engineer from Kidderminster, Worcestershire, said: ‘We heard theyhad taken a barbecue stove into the tent. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. There was nothing they could do for the girl.

“They had three family-sized tents and they were all camped together. They seemed like a normal, happy group enjoying a bank holiday weekend.’

The small camp in the picturesque village covers about half an acre and the tents where the family were staying, arranged around a green gazebo, were cordoned off by police tape last night.

Relatives of the girl, who has not been named, said they had been ‘devastated’ by the tragedy.

Detective Inspector Gavin Kinrade, of West Mercia Police, said: ‘We are treating the girl’s death as unexplained, but at this stage there do not appear to be any suspicious circumstances.’

A man aged 55 and a 51-year-old woman were being treated in hospital for burns following an explosion ataround 6.45am yesterday inside a touring caravan parked at a farm near Goathland, North Yorkshire. Both come from Whitby. Police and fire officers are investigating.