Three staff suspended at top children's hospital 'after baby girl dies from huge morphine overdose'Eight-week-old Hanna Faheem died at Sheffield Children's Hospital Police investigating claims baby lost life after being given controlled drug By Martin Robinson PUBLISHED: 09:49 GMT, 8 April 2013 | UPDATED: 17:10 GMT, 8 April 2013 Three staff at one of Britain's top children's hospital have been suspended and interviewed by police after the death of a baby girl, allegedly from a massive morphine overdose.
Police investigate 13 deaths in a year due to mistakes by paramedics Errors made by East Midlands Ambulance Service include taking eight hours to respond to an elderly manStaff also left morphine tablets on the roof of a rapid response car and moved patient with broken neckService was recently named worst in the country for responding to the most serious 999 calls /13) equates to 0.009%, or a serious incident every 10,377 jobs.
Premature twins died after being given 10 times too much morphine, nursing tribunal hears Alfie and Harry McQuillan were born at 27 weeks in October 2010Were in a 'good condition' despite being born so early, inquest heardPrescribed morphine to stabilise them but instead given 'excessive dose'Died at scandal-hit Stafford Hospital two days later Nurse in charge, Joanne Thompson, now facing disciplinary hearingAccused of letting less senior member of staff administer wrong dose heard.
Mothers-to-be who gorge on fatty snacks can turn their children into 'junk food junkies' Junk foods 'have the same effect on the body's chemistry as opium, heroin, and morphine'Pregnant women who eat junk food cause changes to their unborn babies' brainsThis means the child must eat more junk food to get the same satisfaction By Emma Innes PUBLISHED: 12:13 GMT, 1 March 2013 | UPDATED: 12:23 GMT, 1 March 2013 Mothers-to-be who eat junk food change the development of signalling pathways in their babies' brains Pregnant women who munch on foods high in fat and sugar can turn their children into 'junk food junkies,' a researcher has warned.
British grandmother poses for a happy snapshot with her children.
How tick box culture has made nursing the UNCARING professionThe modern career of a nurse has turned the 'caring profession' academic | UPDATED: 22:35 GMT, 8 December 2012 Not long ago, a friend of mine, who is in her 40s, was in hospital following a knee operation.
Catherine took two painkillers for her bad back and just hours later she was dead – because her GP had prescribed TEN TIMES the correct dose | UPDATED: 00:57 GMT, 14 May 2012 When Catherine Rodger swallowed the usual two painkillers for her bad back, it was just part of her bedtime routine.
British composer left wheelchair bound after NHS hospital misdiagnoses fractured spine as urine infection Composer said he was devastated that he can't run around with his grandchildren | UPDATED: 08:59 GMT, 10 May 2012 A critically-acclaimed British composer has been left wheelchair bound after a hospital misdiagnosed his fractured spine.
The cancer survivors left scarred by bungled operations to rebuild their breasts | UPDATED: 00:28 GMT, 10 April 2012 When Kay Haslam was told her breast cancer had spread and she needed a mastectomy, her immediate reaction was to ask when she could have reconstructive surgery.
Grandmother dies in freak accident after hot bath caused medical skin patch to give her an overdose A grandmother died when a hot bath caused a patch she was wearing on her arm to give her an overdose of medication. Barbara Reynolds, 67, was killed minutes after getting into the bath at her Leicestershire home as the heat sped up the release of the painkilling drug. She had been using Fentanyl patches for chronic pain since 2002 – but the “surge” of the drug into her body made her heart stop