Toddler, 2, who nearly died after drinking toxic oven cleaner has to have his throat opened daily so that his burns can healTwin Callum needs to have his oesophagus opened every night to stop it sticking as his injuries healGrandmother claims he managed to open child-proof cap while she was awayAfter drinking it the toddler was sick, and his vomit burned a hole in the carpet

|

UPDATED:

21:33 GMT, 29 August 2012

A two-year-old boy's could face a lifetime of internal injuries after drinking an entire bottle of toxic oven cleaner when the bottle's child-proof cap 'failed'.

Toddler Callum Blackshaw suffered severe internal burns after he managed to open and gulp down a bottle of oven cleaner at his grandmother's house in Orsett, Essex.

The corrosive cleaner was so powerful it burnt a hole in the carpet when the petrified youngster violently vomited the liquid after swallowing it.

Callum Blackshaw suffered severe internal burns after he managed to open and drink a bottle of oven cleaner

Callum Blackshaw suffered severe internal burns after he managed to open and drink a bottle of oven cleaner

Dedicated mum Maxine, 23, has been by her son's hospital bedside for the past fortnight and has been told she will have to wait until Friday to find out if there is permanent damage.

Staff at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London have been working round the clock in a bid to help the recovery process.

Callum – who is a twin – is being drip fed through his nose three times a day and must have his oesophagus opened every night to stop it sticking as his internal burns heal.

His distressed grandmother, Carina Blackshaw, 52, says she feels responsible for the terrible accident: She said: 'I feel distraught and I do feel responsible for what happened.

'I know I made a mistake leaving the shopping bags in the kitchen but I still cannot understand how a child aged just two managed to open the bottle.

'The bottle was brand new so my only thought is that it was faulty.

Pictured: Callum (right) in hospital with twin brother Calvin and mother Maxine, is recovering from the ordeal

Pictured: Callum (right) in hospital with twin brother Calvin and mother Maxine, is recovering from the ordeal

Pictured: Callum (right) with twin brother Calvin (left) and mother Maxine, who is waiting to hear if her son's injuries will be permanent

Pictured: Callum (right) with twin brother Calvin (left) and mother Maxine, who is waiting to hear if her son's injuries will be permanent

'Unfortunately we'll never know as it was taken with Callum to Basildon Hospital and then on to Great Ormond Street but we have been told it got lost on the journey.

'The lid is supposed to be child-proof to stop exactly this sort of thing from happening.

'Callum is still in hospital and is lucky to be alive but I just don't want another family to go through what we have had to.'

Callum's grandmother Carina Blackshaw says she feels responsible for the dreadful incident

Callum's grandmother Carina Blackshaw says she feels responsible for the dreadful incident

The oven cleaner had been hidden away in shopping bags left on the kitchen table when Callum and his twin brother Calvin returned home from swimming for dinner with their grandma at around 7pm on two weeks ago.

The boys were enjoying racing toy cars around the kitchen when curious Callum somehow managed to climb onto the table and allegedly open the bottle.

Recounting the terrifying ordeal, Carina said: 'I had just popped round to the corner shop to get the boys some sweets.

'They were happily playing with their cars around the kitchen while their mum was in the next room.

'But when I came back everyone was outside.

'Callum's eyes were rolling and he was passed out on the floor.

'Maxine told me what had happened but I just kept saying: ‘There's no way he could get the lid off – it's supposed to be child-proof.'

'The oven cleaner he had swallowed was so strong it had burnt a hole in the carpet when he was sick.'

An ambulance rushed Callum to Basildon Hospital where he was given emergency treatment before being transferred to Great Ormond Street Hospital in London later that night.

Ms Balckshaw said: 'We have been told it will take months for him to recover from his injuries.

'I have been in tears and absolutely wracked with guilt over it all but I just cannot understand how he managed to open the bottle.'

Oven cleaners includes a strong cleaning solution used to remove burnt grease and dirt from the inside of an oven.

Containers usually have a cap which must be pushed down, whilst twisting, to release in a bid to prevent children from opening the bottle.