Toddler's heart stops for THREE MINUTES after hospital nurse accidentally twists his breathing tubes
Sannjay Varathabawan was admitted with a bad cold and breathing problemsWhen a nurse lifted him to clean up his bed, she twisted oxygen tubeThis blocked his air supply and caused his heart to stop for three minutesDoctors frantically battled to save the youngster, who has now recovered
14:03 GMT, 6 March 2013
14:05 GMT, 6 March 2013
A toddler admitted to hospital with a bad cold had to be resuscitated after a nurse accidentally blocked his breathing tubes, his parents claim.
Sannjay Varathabawan's heart stopped for three minutes while being cared for at St George's Hospital in London.
His father Sivarugudas 46, from Beddington, south London, took his 16-month-old son to St Helier Hospital in Sutton on January. Sannjay was having problems breathing due to a bad cold.
Sannjay Varathabawan stopped breathing for three minutes after a nurse twisted his oxygen tube, his parents claim
He was transferred to St George's Hospital's intensive-care unit in Tooting where a nurse inserted a cannula tube into his stomach to take a blood sample.
She left him asleep but after 40 minutes Sannjay's mother, Subothini, 39, noticed his blanket was soaked in blood.
The nurse tried to clean Sannjay up but Mr Varathabawan claims that while she was lifting him, his oxygen tube twisted, blocking his air supply and causing his heart to stop.
Mr Varathabawan called for other doctors and nurses who managed to resuscitate Sannjay after his heart stopped for around three minutes.
He ended up spending 17 days in hospital, contracting the winter vomiting bug norovirus and later rotavirus, which causes severe diarrhoea in young children.
Supermarket worker Mr Varathabawan said there was blood everywhere.
Sannjay, with with mother Subothini and father Sivarugudas, spent 17 days in hospital, later contracting the winter vomiting bug norovirus and then rotavirus, which causes severe diarrhoea in young children
'The nurse was trying to clean the blood and she was moving my baby up and down. The oxygen tube twisted and it was blocked so he couldn't breathe and his heart stopped. It was about three minutes – maybe more than that.
'All this was happening in front of me. I called the head nurse on the day and explained what had happened.
'We were very shocked. My baby is lucky he is alive. If he had been an unlucky baby they would have died that day if his heart had not started.'
Sannjay has recovered but his parents have complained to the hospital about the incident.
A spokesperson for St George's Hospital said: 'Any issues raised by patients and parents are always investigated fully and taken seriously by the trust.
'We have met with Sannjay's parents to discuss their concerns and will be meeting with them again this week to discuss the care he is receiving.'