Woman ends up with part of a dentist's drill in her LUNG after swallowing it during surgery
The unnamed woman in her 60s was having dental implants when the incident occurredThe drill head came loose from the surgeon's grip and fell into her mouthDoctors tried to sit her up, but she had already swallowed it
1228/#.UOLNTKp-59E” rel=”nofollow” target=”_blank”>The Local, an English language newspaper in Sweden.
The drill head is said to have been three centimeters long. When an X-ray was performed on the woman, it revealed the part had lodged itself in her right lung.
Doctors had to perform a bronchoscopy – an examination of the major air passages of the lungs – to remove the 3cm drill head which had become lodged (stock image)
Doctors then immediately performed a bronchoscopy – an examination of the major air passages of the lungs – to remove it.
'A pinky-sized tube was sent into her lung with a small camera and pliers to grab hold of the drill,' said Mr Weitz.
The patient was able to leave the hospital the day after her bronchoscopy, but it apparently took her a month to get over the ordeal.
The hospital has now introduced new procedures to try and avoid the event from happening again.
These include double-checking that the drill head is attached properly, and testing it in the air before using it on a patient.
But Mr Weitz did acknowledge the new plan may not be fail-safe.
'Unfortunately, drills are going to be dropped every now and then,' he added.