Woman who suffered extreme allergic reaction to eyelash extensions is told by salon 'remove them yourself'
Jane Rolfe, 42, had severe reaction to glue used to apply eyelash extensionsLeft with severely
blistered skin for weeks and had to take steroids
Salon refused to remove eyelashes so took her five hours at home
Now can't get compensation because salon voided insurance policy
12:06 GMT, 1 February 2013
15:04 GMT, 1 February 2013
A woman who suffered an extreme allergic reaction to eyelash extensions was forced to spend five hours peeling them off her face after the salon refused to remove them.
Jane Rolfe, 42, was left with severely blistered skin for weeks after suffering a severe, painful allergic reaction to the glue used to apply eyelash extensions.
She claims her local beauty salon in Essex failed to perform a patch test – where a small part of the substance is placed on the skin more than 24 hours beforehand to check for an allergic reaction.
Although Mrs Rolfe, a primary school teaching assistant, told the beautician she had never had extensions before, she says she was not given an allergy test.
Jane Rolfe was left with severely blistered skin for weeks after suffering a severe, painful allergic reaction to the glue used to apply eyelash extensions
She woke up the following morning with severely irritated, stinging and bloodshot eyes.
When she returned to the salon, she claims she was told this was normal, but her symptoms grew worse, with blisters forming around her eye line and a rash spreading across her face.
She told MailOnline: 'The whole experience was harrowing. My GP advised me to go back to the salon and ask them to remove the extensions, but they wouldn’t do it and recommended I go home and try to remove them myself.
'It took me five hours to work them free using nothing but soap and water and it was an excruciatingly painful experience, but even after that the rash and irritation carried on getting worse.
Mrs Rolfe woke up the next morning with severely irritated, stinging and bloodshot eyes
'It was only after my doctor put me on a course of steroids and anti-histamines that they gradually subsided.
'You go to a salon to make you feel good about yourself but this destroyed my confidence and left me with very painful injuries.'
Mrs Rolfe now fears the incident may have triggered a lifelong intolerance to adhesives, after she subsequently suffered another reaction to household superglue.
The insurer is refusing to cover the beauty salon in Brentwood, claiming it broke the terms of its policy by not carrying out the patch test.
This means Mrs Rolfe's only option for compensation is to sue the salon directly – which would likely put it out of business.
She said: 'I think it’s disgusting that people in my situation are being denied compensation for negligence because insurers are refusing to pay out.'
Mrs Rolfe's lawyers at JMW Solicitors have seen an influx of enquiries from women who have suffered adverse reactions from eye extension glue.
Her lawyer, Rachel Crook, said: 'Jane’s story is a strong warning to anyone visiting a hair or beauty salon to always ensure that they have a patch test, even if it causes delays.
'It’s very worrying that the insurance company won’t indemnify their client, when the whole reason salons take out insurance is to protect themselves from exactly this kind of incident.
'Although Jane and victims in similar circumstances are well within their right to seek compensation for their injuries, the pay-out they would receive from pursuing a claim could easily put these small enterprises out of business. '