Mother-of-three dies of huge blood clot after doctors refused to give her a scan “because it was the weekend”Scan could have saved new mother”s life, inquest toldAlison decided to go home after doctor said he was “99% sure” she didn”t have DVT

A new mother died after developing a huge blood clot in her leg – which was missed by medics after they refused to scan her because it was the weekend.

Alison Taylor, 29, died two weeks after giving birth to her daughter, Yvie-May, in March, after developing Deep-Vein Thrombosis in her leg.

The mother-of-three was referred back to hospital by her midwife 11 days before she died, after suffering from cramps and swelling in her leg, and told doctors she feared she had a blood clot.

Alison Taylor with her husband Darren: He said:

Alison Taylor with her husband Darren: He said: “I dont want another family to suffer like mine”

But medics at Leicester Royal Infirmary failed to carry out a simple scan on her leg – because scanners were not used by the maternity ward at the weekend.

Assistant deputy coroner Robert Chapman told an inquest at Leicester Coroner’s Court that if Alison had undergone the procedure she might be alive today.

The inquest heard how Alison, who worked at the infirmary as a health care assistant, had given birth to her third child, Yvie-Mae, on March 15, and was referred to the hospital by a community midwife, who suspected she may have been suffering from DVT – a potentially-fatal blood clot. Pregnant women, or women who have recently given birth, are particularly prone to the condition.

Mr Chapman told how the midwife who admitted Alison, from Leicester, on March 20 examined her and also found signs of swelling and tenderness in her right leg.

He said he was “surprised” when just 10 minutes later registrar Dr Vijay Kumar Kalathy examined Mrs Taylor and said he could find no swelling and discounted DVT as a diagnosis.

Dr Kalathy had told the hearing Alison had been admitted on a Saturday and at that time there was no provision for taking ultrasound scans for women coming through the maternity section with suspected DVT at weekends.

Lawyer Dr Jonathan Punt, representing the Taylor family, said: “I find it incredible that the level of service you received at that time depended on which door you walked into the hospital through.”

Dr Kalathy said he offered to admit Alison over the weekend with the possibility of a scan on the Monday. Her husband, Darren, 34, told the inquest his wife decided to go home because the doctor had told them he was 99 per cent sure she did not have DVT.

Mr Taylor told the hearing how his wife was worried about DVT after being scanned for the condition after the birth of their second child,
Christopher, in 2004. The test was negative but they were told the condition could prove fatal.

His wife collapsed at home in the bath on March 31, hours after being examined by her GP, and died shortly afterwards in hospital.

He said the GP, Dr Philip Hussey told his wife she was suffering from cramp in her leg and gave her painkillers. Dr Hussey told the hearing he could not find any clinical evidence of DVT.

Pathologist Lawrence Brown said Mrs Taylor died of a pulmonary thromboembolism caused by DVT in a leg due to recent pregnancy.
Mr Chapman recorded a narrative verdict.

After the hearing, Mr Taylor said: “What they did was too little too late. They had plenty of chances to help my wife.

“She was my best friend and the best wife and mother in the world. I don’t want another family to suffer like mine.”

He is planning to take legal actions against the hospital.

Mrs Taylor also left behind a daughter, Ellise, nine.

A spokesman for Leicester’s hospitals said: “We would like to express our most sincere condolences to Mrs Taylor’s family for their tragic loss.

“We have taken action and made changes to improve the way a potential blood clot is assessed in maternity, including seven-day-a-week access to an ultrasound scan of the leg.”